TIPS is looking to appoint an entry-level Researcher/Economist as part its team. The primary focus area of the position is on sustainable growth issues.
Qualification, experience and competences required
- A post-graduate degree in Economics or a related field (Development Studies, Political Science, International Affairs, Environmental Sciences, etc.) with a strong economics component;
- Preferably 1-2 years of experience in policy research and analysis;
- A demonstrated interest and expertise in themes related to the sustainable development and industrial development;
- Strong writing, editing and presentation skills, with an excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of national and international developments on economic, social and environmental issues;
- Strong computer skills, with a proven ability to manipulate data in Excel and analyse quantitative information;
- Pronounced attention to detail and organisation skills;
- Ability to work both in a team and independently, as well as in a multicultural and multidisciplinary setting;
- Capacity to work under pressure and to adhere strictly to deadlines;
- Willingness to learn and do the job, multi-task and be flexible; and
- Demonstrate an energetic and enthusiastic personality.
Scope of work
- Performing economic research on sustainable growth issues (such as green jobs) under the guidance of project leaders, and providing research input and data analysis to research staff;
- Contributing to TIPS’s work on trade and industry, and inequality and economic inclusion;
- Liaising with and supporting relevant policy-making entities in South Africa (and elsewhere in the region as appropriate) in line with TIPS's mandate and priorities; and
- Providing internal content for research, in conjunction with TIPS’s staff on research projects, workshops, events, publications, etc.
Closing date for applications: 15 August 2017
Starting date: 2 October 2017 (latest)
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter as well as a writing sample to Edmore at email@example.com by 17:00 on 15 August 2017. Note that only applications containing ALL documents will be considered. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed applicants only. Candidates who have received no response within three weeks of the closing date should kindly assume that their application has not been successful.
A market-related remuneration package will be offered for the position. Please note TIPS is an equal opportunity employers and this position will be filled in accordance with current Employment Equity practices. TIPS seeks to promote diversity among their staff and reserve the right not to fill this position.