15-17 May 2018
This research methodology training workshop introduces participants to some key elements that will assist a better understanding of: (a) what social science research is about and what constitutes good research in terms of validity and methodology; and (b) how research is undertaken and what processes are followed to generate findings.
The workshop takes place over three consecutive days and covers the following areas, although not exclusively:
- Introduction to the theory of change.
- Research terminology, the different approaches to research, when to use qualitative and/or quantitative research methods and what are the advantages and disadvantages of these methods.
- How to set out good research questions and to address these questions.
- What is a good literature review and why such reviews are important.
- Surveys: how to survey and how to sample.
- Qualitative research: interviews (structured and semi-structured), running focus groups.