The National Energy Regulator of South Africa (NERSA) is the regulatory authority established in terms of the National Energy Regulator Act, 2004.
The Regulatory Entities Capacity Building project will provide a comprehensive review of the regulators' role, linked with the policy framework and powers.
The review includes:
- Examining the linkages with economic development in a number of areas including links with industrial policy.
- Assessing the key issues at each level of the Electricity Supply Industry value chain.
- Examining electricity pricing and the process of setting prices by NERSA.
- Evaluating the regulatory and institutional framework.
- Looking at the role of Independent Power Producers and municipalities.
- Undertaking case studies that highlight how actions by Eskom and the regulator have implications for industrial policy.
- Identifying specific areas of capacity building to inform short learning programmes (SLPs).