Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS) is looking for a Senior Economist to assist in our work to promote industrial development in South Africa. As a policy research agency, our work centres on generating and analysing evidence-based options for industrial policy and more inclusive and sustainable growth. You can see more about our work on this website.
As a Senior Economist at TIPS, you will:
- Undertake practical, creative and high-quality research into economic challenges and policy options, primarily for government but also for other economic stakeholders;
- Write reports, briefing notes and other economic and policy inputs mostly in relationship to industrial policy;
- Liaise with and support economic policy-making entities in South Africa in line with TIPS's mandate and priorities;
- Conceptualise, scope and develop proposals for projects related to industrial policy;
- Manage projects, including working with colleagues, budgets and deliverables;
- Contribute content to the TIPS website and support the release of research and information produced by TIPS into the public domain;
- Help promote and engage in constructive discussions and debates about industrial policy and inclusive growth; and
- Assist in mentoring and managing economists and researchers.
You will need:
- A passion for industrial policy and inclusive economic development, and an interest in developing innovative and realistic options to take them forward;
- At least a Master’s Degree in Economics, preferably in a field that is relevant to industrial policy;
- At least eight years’ work experience in research or policy related environment related to economics and/or industrial development;
- A strong ability to analyse information and data to support decision and policy making;
- Highly developed writing and presentation skills;
- The ability to represent TIPS with high-level stakeholders; and
- Competencies in mentoring and project management.
Who we are:
Trade & Industrial Policies Strategies (TIPS) is an independent, non-profit, economic research institution based in Pretoria. It was established in 1996 to support economic policy development, with an emphasis on industrial policy, in South Africa and the region. TIPS has three main areas of work: trade and industrial policy; inequality and economic inclusion; and sustainable growth.
TIPS’s main objectives are to undertake in-depth economic analyses, especially at the industrial level; to provide quality research as the basis for improving industrial policy as well as broader economic development strategies; and to support an increasingly dynamic and evidence-based discourse on industrial policy and inclusive growth with academics, other researchers, government departments and stakeholders.
TIPS offers high quality quantitative and qualitative research, project management, dialogue facilitation, capacity building and knowledge sharing. TIPS undertakes commissioned research, as well as policy papers and think pieces around industrial policy and economic development.
Closing date for applications: 20 March 2018
A competitive remuneration package is offered based on level of skill required
Non-South African applicants should indicate their authorisation to work in South Africa.
To apply, please send a short CV, a cover letter highlighting your interest for the position and how you match the requirements, as well as a writing sample via e-mail to Edmore at Edmore@tips.org.za. We can only consider applications with all of these components. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed applicants only.