Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS) is looking for an Economist/Researcher with one to two years’ work experience. This position cuts across TIPS’s activities but is primarily focused on supporting activities in TIPS’s Sustainable Growth Team, assisting in undertaking research on the just transition to a green economy in South Africa and the region. TIPS’s research approach is on generating and analysing evidence-based options for a more sustainable and inclusive economic development. You can see more about our work on this website.
Qualification, Experience and Competences Required
- A post-graduate degree in Economics or a related field (Development Studies, Political Science, International Affairs, etc.) with a strong economics component;
- Preferably 1-2 years of experience in policy research and analysis;
- A demonstrated interest and expertise in themes related to the just transition, green economy and industrial development;
- Strong writing, editing and presentation skills, with an excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of national and international developments on economic, social and environmental issues;
- Strong computer skills, with a proven ability to manipulate data in Excel and analyse quantitative information;
- Attention to detail, be highly organised, and be able to work both in a team and independently;
- Ability to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary setting;
- Capacity to work under pressure and to adhere strictly to deadlines;
- Willingness to learn and do the job, multi-task and be flexible; and
- Demonstrate an energetic and enthusiastic personality.
Scope of Work
As an Economist/Researcher at TIPS, you will:
- Perform economic research under the guidance of line manager(s);
- Provide research input and data analysis to research staff;
- Liaise with and support the relevant policymaking entities dealing with green economy and just transition in South Africa (and elsewhere in the region as appropriate);
- Provide content for research publication and dissemination; and
- Support the organisation of internal and external events (workshops, conferences, webinars, training, etc.).
Who we are
Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS) is an independent, non-profit, economic research institution based in Pretoria. It was established in 1996 to support economic policy development, with an emphasis on industrial policy, in South Africa and the region. TIPS has three main areas of work: trade and industrial policy; inequality and economic inclusion; and sustainable growth.
TIPS’s main objectives are to undertake in-depth economic analyses, especially at the industrial level; to provide quality research as the basis for improving industrial policy as well as broader economic development strategies; and to support an increasingly dynamic and evidence-based discourse on industrial policy and inclusive growth with academics, other researchers and stakeholders.
TIPS offers high-quality quantitative and qualitative research, project management, dialogue facilitation, capacity building and knowledge sharing. TIPS undertakes commissioned research, as well as policy papers and think pieces around industrial policy and economic development.
Closing date for applications: 6 August 2021.
Non-South African applicants should have authority to work in South Africa.
To apply, please send a short CV, a cover letter highlighting your interest for the position and how you match the requirements as well as a writing sample via e-mail to Edmore Nyanhongo at Edmore@tips.org.za. We can only consider applications with all of these components. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed applicants only.