TIPS offers internships to qualified people to gain professional experience in the economic policy field in South Africa and the continent. For more about the intern programme click here .
Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS) is looking for an Economist/Researcher (Level 1) in its Sustainable Growth Team with one to two years’ work experience to assist in undertaking research around trade and industrial policy in South Africa and the region. TIPS’s research approach is on generating and analysing evidence-based options for industrial policy as the key to more inclusive and sustainable economic growth. You can find out more about our work on this website.
Qualification, experience and competences required
• A post-graduate degree in Economics or a related field (Development Studies, Political Science, International Affairs, etc.) with a strong economics component;
• Preferably 1-2 years of experience in policy research and analysis;
• A demonstrated interest and expertise in themes related to the green economy and industrial development;
• Strong writing, editing and presentation skills, with an excellent command of written and spoken English;
• Knowledge of national and international developments on economic, social and environmental issues;
• Strong computer skills, with a proven ability to manipulate data in Excel and analyse quantitative information;
• Attention to detail, be highly organised, and be able to work both in a team and independently;
• Ability to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary setting;
• Capacity to work under pressure and to adhere strictly to deadlines;
• Willingness to learn and do the job, multi-task and be flexible; and
• Demonstrate an energetic and enthusiastic personality.
Scope of work
• Performing economic research under the guidance of the line manager, and providing research input and data analysis to research staff;
• Liaising with and supporting the relevant policymaking entities dealing with green economy in South Africa (and elsewhere in the region as appropriate) in line with TIPS's mandate and priorities; and
• Providing internal content for research, in conjunction with TIPS’s staff on research projects, workshops, events, publications, etc.
Who we are
Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS) is an independent, non-profit, economic research institution based in Pretoria. It was established in 1996 to support economic policy development, with an emphasis on industrial policy, in South Africa and the region. TIPS has three main areas of work: trade and industrial policy; inequality and economic inclusion; and sustainable growth. TIPS’s main objectives are to undertake in-depth economic analyses, especially at the industrial level; to provide quality research as the basis for improving industrial policy as well as broader economic development strategies; and to support an increasingly dynamic and evidence-based discourse on industrial policy and inclusive growth with academics, other researchers and stakeholders. TIPS offers high-quality quantitative and qualitative research, project management, dialogue facilitation, capacity building and knowledge sharing. TIPS undertakes commissioned research, as well as policy papers and think pieces around industrial policy and economic development.
Closing date for applications: 13 August 2019
Non-South African applicants should have authority to work in South Africa.
To apply, please send a short CV, a cover letter highlighting your interest for the position and how you match the requirements as well as a writing sample via e-mail to Edmore at Edmore@tips.org.za. We can only consider applications with all of these components. Correspondence will be limited to short-listed applicants only.